CODE OF CITIZENSHIP CODE DE CONDUITE
VISION AND MISSION STATEMENT
At École Poirier, we believe learning thrives in a safe welcoming environment of respect and cooperation. We will support our students to be caring, responsible, creative members of their community, through the adventure of life-long learning. Our students will be supported and nurtured in a school-home-community partnership to ensure success.
We meet this goal by following our school Vision: JOIN IN. We believe this is important for all members of our learning community. JOIN IN is our Vision and our MISSON, we have it written in child friendly language around our school and it is incorporated into our school song. We all Jump into learning, Open our minds, Investigate the world, are Neigbours working together, always Imagine the possibilities, and most importantly, Never give up!
École Poirier believes that all students have the right to learn in a positive, safe and nurturing environment. The responsibility for teaching appropriate and acceptable behaviour is shared between home and school. This allows all students the opportunity to learn, grow, and do their personal best.
The school is committed to promoting the social conscience, self-discipline and sense of responsibility which characterize an educated citizen. At École Poirier, we believe that as students move up through successive grades, there is a developmental increase in personal responsibility and the ability to practice appropriate self-discipline. All students play a role in ensuring École Poirier is a safe, caring and enjoyable learning environment.
Rights and Responsibilities of our Students
- I have the right to learn.
- I have a responsibility to be attentive, to complete all assignments to the best of my ability, and to work cooperatively with my peers.
- I have the right to hear and be heard.
- I have a responsibility to allow everyone to join in conversations.
- I have the right to be respected.
- I have a responsibility to treat others with kindness, courtesy, and respect.
- I have a right to be safe.
- I have a responsibility to behave and play without harming, bullying or threatening others.
- I have a right to a clean, healthy environment.
- I have a responsibility to respect and keep my school clean.
- I have the right to privacy and to my own personal space.
- I have a responsibility to respect the personal property of others, and to accept their right to privacy.
In accordance with the Policy of School District No. 62, the Criminal Code, and as members of our school community we have a responsibility to act in ways that are free of:
- physical and/or verbal abuse
- sexual harassment
- possession or use of weapons
- defiant or disrespectful behaviour towards adults / peers
- defacing or stealing of personal or school property, threats and/or intimidation.
Response to Inappropriate Behaviour
When a student’s actions demonstrate non-compliance with our Code of Citizenship, consequences will come from one or more of the following:
- restitution with opportunities to fix mistakes
- conference with all parties affected
- notification of parents by phone or email
- brainstorming to solve problems.
- referral to school based team
- removal from classroom, playground, or privileges
- extended removal from class and/or playground privileges